Most people enjoy buying gifts for their friends and family, but in these economically difficult times it can be hard work to find the money. You can save money on gifts for your friends and family and without looking cheap! Here are a few ideas to ways you can buy gifts on a budget.
Get Creative and Give Something Homemade
Instead of splashing out the cash on expensive gifts this year why not consider getting creative and making some of your own. In an article full of ideas for your own homemade gifts WikiHow suggested that you:
Bake breads or cookies and package them in a tin or basket. Add a decorative ribbon to dress it up. If you can splurge a bit more you can include a bread knife, wooden cutting board or bread cookbook with the bread gift.
Ideas for homemade gifts include:
- Sew stuffed animals as toys for children.
- Take up the knitting needles and knit a scarf, a hat or a jumper.
- Personalise a frame by decorating it and adding sentimental photos
- Make homemade jam and decorate the jars with ribbon
- Make fancy chocolates and wrap them in cellophane wrapping
Making a gift for a family member or a friend will take a little more thought, time and effort than picking up something from a store. But that time and effort is likely to be very well appreciated and the thought you put into it is unlikely to go unnoticed.
Buying Jewellery on a Budget
Buying jewellery as a gift does not need to cost you as much as you think. There are many ways to save money when buying jewellery and here are two great ways to do so:
- Try buying second-hand jewellery – A beautiful piece of jewellery does not necessarily have to be brand new. Pre-owned jewellery is usually restored to as-new condition and looks just as good as it once did. Buying second-hand jewellery is a great way to save money because a previously worn piece may cost as little as a third of the price it did when it was new! Always buy your second hand jewellery from a knowledgeable jeweller so that you know that it has been restored to a good condition.
- Semi-precious stones can be just as beautiful – If you would love to buy a piece of jewellery as a gift but just cannot afford a shiny new diamond or ruby, consider buying a semi-precious stone. Semi-precious stones can be just as beautiful as precious gemstones and are a lot more affordable. Examples of affordable gemstones include Citrines and Amethysts. An article all about Amethysts on Debretts Online Jewellery said this about this beautiful gemstone:
At one time, Amethysts were only available to the rich and mainly to royalty. In recent years, large deposits of this beautiful gemstone have been discovered and this is what makes this fascinating gem so affordable.
Buying Gifts on a Budget – Think Outside the Box
Gifts don’t have to be expensive to be appreciated. Instead of sticking to traditional ideas for gifts try something a little bit different such as:
- A magazine subscription – A subscription to a magazine is a fantastic gift idea. It doesn’t need to cost a fortune and if it is a magazine that your friend truly loves then it shows that you thought about them. The great thing about a magazine subscription is that the gift keeps on coming every month!
- Create a personalised item – It is easy to create personalised items nowadays as there are so many websites aimed at doing just this. Create a personalised T-shirt, Calendar or Coffee Mug as a gift for a friend this year.
- Put together a gift basket – Pre-made gift baskets cost a lot of money, but if you make them yourself then they don’t need to. You can buy relatively inexpensive boxes and fill them with goodies that you know your friend or family member will love.
Before you buy anything as a gift, why not check out some of the popular voucher websites to see if you can make a saving. The Mirror claims that:
Online discount deals are proving a financial lifeline for struggling families with a 40% increase in the numbers cashing in this year.
Popular websites include Wowcher and Groupon and these websites claim that you could save up to 70% on what you would have paid if you bought the item without a voucher. Online vouchers can be used for many things such as Days and meals out, as well as for purchasing clothes, games and other gift ideas.
Buying gifts for family and friends does not need to break the bank! Follow our tips to buying gifts, only cheaper and you could save a fortune this year!